05 July 2010

What Is Friendship?

Hello Guys and Gals!

I have been considering this question of late. What actually is friendship?

I know some people and I'm not sure if they're truly my friends or not. What I mean by that is, even though I claim being their friend, I'm not so sure they feel the same way towards me. It is because of their actions that I think this.

There is a new way of thinking that, if you're friends with someone, you can pick on them in a jesting way. I fully agree with being able to pick on your friends. However, some, and I'm not naming any names, let your conscience be your own guide, feel that, because of this friendship status, they can take to actually harassing you about something that is serious in your life at that time. They find something that really upsets you, and instead of helping you with it or staying away from that button, they intentionally press that button to see what kind of reaction they get out of you.

It is this type of behavior that makes me wonder if these people who I am trying to be their friend are trying to be my friend in return. Or are they simply trying to see how riled up they can get me? Why do people now a days work so hard at pissing people off like it's a game or something?

I don't believe that this is friendship!

I have also noticed that, with all the new gay hype going on, that people no longer touch other people in a friendly way anymore, thinking that maybe they will be hit with a gay accusation or maybe a sexual harassment lawsuit. What ever happened to putting a comforting hand on a shoulder in friendship without there being any gay or sexual implications involved in it? Why can't people, male or female, comfort each other with a hug or an arm around the shoulder without the other person looking at you wondering if you're making a move on them?

I think the media is playing this up in commercials, sitcoms, and movies! I wonder what their agenda is in attempting to keep people from being true friends.

In my church, the pastor is doing a series of sermons on Galatians. In it he talks about knowing that the Holy Spirit is within you by the fruits of the Spirit. 'But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.' Galatians 5:22-23. I think we can apply this principle to friendship as well as fruits of the Spirit. Does your relationship with this friend of yours promote these things? Or are they simply seeking to make you mad?

I think if we truly want to be friends with another, we need to build a relationship with them. The fruits of the Spirit are the PERFECT way to build a relationship with anyone! How do you treat your friends? Me, I am going to seek to treat my friends with fruits of the spirit!

God bless you all this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment