13 July 2010

The Truth About Lying!

Hello Guys and Gals!

What do you know about lies? I used to think that I knew more than I did. Yet now that I know more about them, the more I realize that there is so little that I actually know! The same can be said for just about everything.

What does the Word of God say about lying?

'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.' Exodus 20:16.

I used to think that there was a loophole in this commandment. It says not just that 'you shall not bear false witness' but it adds on 'against your neighbor'! I used to think that when confronted with a situation where nobody would get hurt, like when your wife asks if the jeans she's wearing make her look fat, then a little lie, or a white lie, would not only be acceptable but appropriate in that situation. I no longer believe this!

John 2:21, 'no lie is of the truth.'

With this, we see that even a simple little white lie is not of the truth.

Jesus spoke to the Pharisees about lying. 'Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word. You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.' John 8:43-44.

This tells me that any lie, no matter how small, is of Satan who is the Father of Lies. If you make a lie, then you are speaking directly from Satan's own mouth!

'A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who tells lies will perish.' Proverbs 19:9

In this we can see that not only is the liar going to perish, but also that the lie itself will not go unpunished. I believe that any who spreads a lie, even if they do not know they are spreading a lie, also partake in the punishment of that lie.

Now that we know what the Word of God says about it, let's get into what actually happens with a lie. When someone lies, the lie that they speak attacks the relationship that person is having with who they are telling that lie to. Now some of you might say that you do not care about that relationship with someone you do not know. But Jesus told us that we are to love our neighbor as ourselves. He went on to define our neighbor as everyone you have contact with in your life! So when you lie, you are not seeking a good relationship but more attacking the relationship instead.

Even a simple white lie can rip a family to shreds. It brings division and lack of trust to a family. I have seen this with my own eyes many times. I am not speaking of just one incident here but what I have witnessed over the course of my life.

If any of you want to promote good relationships in your life, which is one of the things Jesus commanded us to do, then do not lie! For a lie tears at the very fabric that the relationship is made of. It is not a good thing and God will punish the Liar as well as the Lie and all who partake in it!

May God bless you all this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment