25 June 2010

Let's be honest about racism

What is the reason for racism?

rac·ism /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Show Spelled[rey-siz-uhm] Show IPA

–noun

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

It is my belief that the second definition is the most accurate one in today's American society. I do not believe that racism is about hatred anymore. It is simply about fostering the doctrines of someone who has an agenda to promote.

I have been known for my hatred of black people in my past. I apologize to black people everywhere who saw this in me.

In actuality, what I hated the most was reverse discrimination, the idea that a person points to themselves being black, white, yellow, or red as the reason why someone is saying/doing something against them.

Why can't it simply be about truth? Let our actions and deeds prove our words! The title to this is about racism, but again it falls to the integrity of reality that we are referring to.

I do not believe in forming a conclusion about someone in my life without getting to know them first. I don't care to look at the color of their skin, whether or not they have long hair, tattoos, or physical deformities in forming my opinion about them. I firmly believe in basing my conclusions about a person, notice I'm staying away from the word 'judging', on their character and actions! I do not believe that this is judging someone, but instead being discerning about them.

I believe that is what everyone, no matter the color of skin, wants in their efforts of letting people get to know them. If we can do this, I believe the world would be done with racism.

Do not let the color of someone's skin stop you in getting to know the real them!

God bless you all today!

1 comment:

  1. Good point Jay, I agree with you 100 percent. It is in someones action that we should form opinions on them. Too often race is the first thing that is brought up, "Your doing this because I'm white, black, purple etc." No it is because you are doing something wrong.

    ReplyDelete