15 October 2010

Taking The Name Of The LORD In Vain!

Hello Guys and Gals!

I would like to once again apologize to you for not being able to write as much as I'd like to in my blog. I have been suffering from a sinus infection that has been very debilitating to my thinking process and when I am feeling foggy headed, I do not want to write in my blog for fear that I may say something that isn't clearly stated for you to understand. I am on a new course of antibiotics that seem to be working very well and as such I have a clear head this morning to be able to write this.

Sunday, my Sunday school class were going through the Ten Commandments. The teacher, Dwayne Moensche, went off on a word study on the Hebrew word which translates to 'vain' in the Old Testament where God gives Moses the commandment to not take the Lord's name in vain. I learned something then that sort of shocked me a bit in my understanding. The word in the Hebrew, and I did not write it down but I will try to find it, meant not simply just using God's name in an inappropriate use, but meant specifically to attribute to God something which God did not do. So taking the Lord's name in vain is more precisely defined as attributing to God works that are not of God! That is all it means. It does not mean any slang that people use involving the 'D' word at all.

Now this got me to thinking. Have you ever heard of the unforgivable sin? The unforgivable sin is attributing to Satan the works of the Holy Spirit. Refer to Matthew 12:31. It has also been translated as blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Now think about these two things. Taking the name of the Lord in vain and blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Both of them are attributing to one, either the Lord or Satan, the works of the other. This is very important I believe.

God says it is a sin saying that works not of His hand are being attributed to Him!

Jesus says that it is an unpardonable sin to attribute the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan!

Do you see how the two are related? I am beginning to see the relation but I am also aware that there are things here that I am not fully aware of. I do not claim any special wisdom on this subject. But I do say that there is a relation here between the two that is very similar. I believe that both God and Jesus, yes they are one in the same but I am referring to Them separately so that clear understanding of who said which is more accurately stated, gave these two instructions to us so that we are aware of yet another aspect of Their Godly Nature.

For the longest time, I used to think that taking the Lord's name in vain was simply speaking His name in any capacity that did not promote the advancement of His will. I was so wrong! How many of us think that what I used to believe is the true meaning of what God meant when He told us not to take His name in vain? But now that I have learned the truth about taking His name in vain, and right away saw the correlation to what Jesus said about attributing to Satan the works of the Holy Spirit, I immediately see how this is the correct and true meaning of taking the Lord's name in vain. It is so simple and yet our translation, being inadequate as it always seems to be, has hindered our understanding of the truth.

So all those times when you think that you have taken the Lord's name in vain and have concluded that you have sinned because of it, may not have actually been sinful. I thank God for granting to me the full understanding of little tidbits of information about His word that fill me with His wisdom and understanding. It is an amazing thing to be loved by God who is constantly showing me something new about His nature! Thank you Jesus for the little tidbits!

May God bless you all this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment