09 September 2010

I Remember What It Was Like!

Hello Guys and Gals!

I just finished watching a movie about some teens in high school that came out in 1987 the year I graduated high school. In watching this movie, I saw the various cliques that we all were part of at that time. I saw all the emotions we were all being bombarded with. I saw love infatuation and power struggles and culture clashes and all the different hair styles from back then. I saw the different emotions of each of the characters as they interacted with each other. I saw confusion in the character's attempt to understand the others who were interacting with him in the movie. I saw realization dawn on the main character's face when he finally realized that what he was looking for was not in the very pretty girl from the elite side of the school, but instead it was right there with him all the time and he was just too blind to see it.

I remember what all that was like! I remember my own struggles as well as my own treatment of others. I know I was probably more like the guy who sought to demean those not in his clique rather than the guy who just wanted to be accepted and not be the outcast. But I also remember some of the feelings the outcast guy went through. I remember how at times I felt humiliated. I remember how at times I caused the humiliation to others. I remember the awkward feelings in asking someone on a date. I remember how those feelings spiked high when the girl said yes. I remember it all very clearly.

What a confusing time it was. I don't know if you remember those times as well, but maybe if you tried you could. I think even more now than ever before that all that stuff is much more difficult today for kids in school than it was in my day.

But just because I remember, does not mean I want to go back. I know that God has changed my heart, my mind, my character, my very nature. I know that I am a better person today than that silly, shy, obnoxious teenager that I used to be back then.

Do you also remember? Do you think that you are better or worse or even the same as you were back in high school? What do you remember?

The movie I watched was 'Some Kind of Wonderful'! It did bring back all those memories and emotions for me. Maybe you guys should watch it as well and see if it does the same for you.

God bless you all this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment